Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 41 - Do I Look Crabby??

Brian and I had a fantastic weekend! We decided to put off all the home chores we had on the schedule and do something fun for ourselves instead! Saturday, we hopped in the car about noon and headed towards the Northern Neck of Virginia for Colonial Beach. What a find that was! Colonial Beach boasts the second longest beach in Virginia and it's a great little town! We walked the beach for a little while, picked up a few shells, then had a couple of beers at one of the local beach hangouts. It's only about an hour and a half away from us - we had no idea it was so close. We've always thought that the nearest large beach is Rehoboth or the VA Beach/Newport News area - 3 or 4 hours away! We didn't know we had this wonderful little find almost right around the corner! Granted, it's not on the ocean - it's the Potomac - but there's sand, water and sun. That qualifies as a beach to me! Sunday, we hopped back in the car in the morning and this time, headed in another direction that led us to the Eastern Shore - St. Michaels and Tilghman Island in Maryland. For those of you that know where Brenna and Jeremy live - from Chesapeake Beach, looking straight across the bay, you can see Tilghman Island. Of course, the only way to get there is to take the Bay Bridge so it took us close to a couple of hours. But once we arrived, we weren't disappointed! First stop? St. Michaels and The Crab Claw for lunch. I bet you can guess what I had!!!! Brian had a crab cake sandwich - lunch was a success! After lunch, we did a little window shopping, then hopped back in the car for a drive to Tilghman Island. Not much to see there other than water LOL. It was a ghost town!!! It has one very long street through town with nothing but houses. I think there was a small restaurant and a gas station, but other than that, you're out of luck! They do have a harbor there, however, where they offer skipjack tours. We had intended to do that, but by the time we got there, it was already in the high 90's and with the humidity, nearly unbearable to be outside. So, we opted to do it another time and begin our leisurely drive home instead. It was a fantastic and much needed weekend for both of us.

Not too much to report on my jaws, the changes have slowed dramatically and not much is happening. Unfortunately, the swelling isn't going down very much or as quickly as I'd hoped but each day is getting easier. I still have some pain on the right side when I chew and yawn, but it has gotten considerably better. I'm measuring my range of motion by the number of fingers I can put between my teeth. Two weeks ago, I could only fit one...and now two! So, even though it doesn't seem like much is happening, I AM making progress. I'm eating anything and everything I can get my hands on - steak, chicken, pizza, seafood - but still get either too tired or too sore before I'm full. Because of this, I am eating numerous times a day - this is good and bad. Good for obvious reasons: Nourishment and energy. Bad: Weight. I am back to where I was when I went in for surgery so I'm doing fine but if I continue to eat as I am, I'll soon need my own zip code. :-)

I'll return to see the surgeon on June 30th to make sure he's happy with the progress I've made thus far. I'm pretty confident he'll be pleased with what I'm doing. I am also officially able to exercise and go back to most of my normal routine! Obviously I couldn't go out and run a marathon, but I can carry a loaded laundry basket, that's for damn sure! hehehe Little by little, day by day...that's all I can do and so far, things are coming along nicely.

No comments: