Monday, June 14, 2010

Day 34 - Chew on this!

Just because I haven't posted in a few days doesn't mean that things aren't happening around here! We had a very nice (and busy) weekend and today, I went back to work. It was a busy morning and it was tough. Although it's been nice having the splint off, I'm realizing just how far I have to go before things are back to normal. My cheeks are still very swollen and because of this, rub against my braces so they are extremely irritated and sore. The less I talk, the better it is. With the phone ringing and people coming in my office this morning, I was forced to talk a lot and wow, do I hurt. It's not as easy as it seems! I was so happy to come home where I didn't have to talk to anyone!!! But, no pain, no gain - at least that's what I was always told - just gotta keep trudging along. :-)

Now for the fun stuff - Iron Man, Transformers - they've got nothing on us jaw surgery patients! Here are the before and after xrays to date. The "before" shots were taken in September & October 2009 and I just had the "after" shots taken last Thursday. I've got a good amount of titanium in my face now, huh? And check out the difference in the profile shot! I had them side by side on my screen and was astonished! Crazy!







I guess there are a few changes to report. I seem to be getting a small amount of feeling back on the left side of my face. I've got nearly all the feeling back now in my nose and I'm getting better sensation on the left side of my face so I'm hoping this means things are moving in the right direction. My lips are still "on fire" and they hurt. My chin is also sensitive this way. But, little by little, things are changing. Pictures don't show it much, but there is still a large amount of swelling in my face that will take months to go down. But, my breathing is much, much better and as the swelling goes down on the left side, it improves. I'm beginning to think I just might breathe like a normal person after all!

Lastly....I'm proud to say that as of last Thursday, I've not used a syringe for dinner! Brian and I went out on Saturday evening and I ate in public for the first time with my new mouth! Now get this - it's the craziest thing and I still can't figure it out. I know where my mouth is. I've been eating with a fork since I was young. But I can't for the life of me get the fork between my teeth on the first try. Really. I'm not joking. It's like the "are you drunk" tests the officer gives people on the highway - you know the one - "close your eyes and touch your nose". I couldn't hit my mouth if someone PAID me! It's insane and embarrassing! And chewing - ha, that's a joke! I can only explain it by saying that it feels absolutely, 100% wrong! It's not what I'm used to - my teeth are in a completely different place and it doesn't work! It will, but right now, it doesn't but I'm trying! I look ridiculous but I WILL eat! hehe

And with that...it's dinner time. Pizza's on the menu tonight! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I am right where you are almost the same day. I have lower Jaw surgery on May 12th and I hate that my jaw is still swellen really bad it's manily on the bottom of my jaw I look like my head belongs on a 300 pound person. Well thanks for the blog keep up the blogs and I'll keep reading. :)

Aimee said...

Hi! Mine's going down, it's much better than it was before but I have a long way to go. I feel the same way - like my head is about three times its normal size! LOL The joke has been that I look like Mrs. Potato Head! :-)