Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 31 Continued - Life Begins Again

To celebrate my new found freedom, I all but begged Brian to take me out for dinner! I didn't care what I could eat (if anything!) but I wanted to try!! Boy, did I! Chez Andree, here we come!



It wasn't easy, and everything about it feels SO wrong! I can't open my mouth more than about an inch, so little pieces is the name of the game for now. But for the first time in a month, I was able to chew food! Because my gums are still numb (which means I also can't feel my teeth), I couldn't feel where the food was, I just knew it was there. It's the strangest feeling ever! It didn't hurt, but because the muscles are now learning how to do this again, it was uncomfortable, for instance, to move my tongue from one side to the other - something we just take for granted when we eat. Brian made a good point last night - I need to be careful with food temperature so I don't burn myself - something I hadn't even thought of! But since my lips still don't work right, blowing on my food proved to be humorous. :-) And the butter dripping down my chin that Brian had to quietly tell me to wipe off? I knew it was there - uh-huh - really, I did! Riiiiiiiight! We just had to document the first bite!!!



What a fantastic night! Another new journey begins...



No comments: