Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 37 - I'm Lovin' It

I know, I know - I'm a little behind in my writings! But now, the changes are happening much slower so it's really not necessary to do daily postings. Every two to three days will suffice and hopefully, there will be improvement each time! Of course, if a thought pops into my head, something drastic or exciting happens or I have updates from doc appts., I'll be sure to post them, as well.

I'm chewing more and more as the days go on. It's not easy, it hurts and it's still very foreign, but I'm doing it. Each meal is a chore - it's amazing how hard I have to work. Most times, I can't finish the meal because I'm literally too tired from chewing, whether I'm full or not. Each meal that I chew means progress. I do, however, have a serious addiction to mashed potatoes and could eat them every day! We found these great single serving Bob Evans mashed potatoes shortly after surgery and they were great for quick cooking and straining. We're still buying them because they are a welcome break every once in a while - though I now eat them with a small spoon instead. :-) The small victories are the best ones!

Chewing brings cravings. The more I begin to eat normally, the more things I WANT to eat. Tonight's craving was something greasy, something bad for me and something we did NOT have to make at home. I told Brian of my desires and he said he could go for the same thing. From the picture, I'm sure you can see where our dinner came from! One of the drawbacks to these cravings is the fact that I can't open my mouth very far. It's getting better, but verrrrrry slowly...and definitely not daily! But tonight, I proved to myself that I can do it, that I can beat this. Not only did I eat all 10 of my chicken nuggets (which were fantastic, by the way), but I also ordered a simple cheeseburger - and ate it like a real person! It took forever and was cold by the time I was done, but I did it and that's all that matters!



So let's see...I've been back to work nearly a full week now! It's been good to be back in the swing of things. It's harder than I expected but I'm enjoying it. Talking is very difficult and with the swelling, my cheeks are digging into my braces. Shredded cheeks = not fun. The elastics that I'm wearing, coupled with the numbness & swelling, makes a 10 minute conversation seem like a Senate hearing. I just keep telling myself that it'll get better, it'll get easier.

Instant gratification is NOT the name of this insane game!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ate 10 chicken McNuggets AND a cheeseburger?????????

Aimee said...

I could be wrong, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say this was a Todd comment. No matter who it was, I don't care. I haven't been able to chew food for over a month so yes, I ate 10 McNuggets AND a cheeseburger and I'm proud to admit it LOL. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :)

Unknown said...

Way to go Aimee... you inspire me when I read your updates. I am now at day 15! Found out that I have to have my nose done as it buckled when I had the jaw surgery. So I guess that is my biggest set back at the moment. I can not wait for the day I am allowed to chomp into something solid, puree food is loosing its appeal real fast! Mind you I do like rice and have found that in small doses I can eat it without chewing and am getting very creative with sauce ideas!
My biggest achievment so far is that I no longer have to sleep like I am in a coffin, flat on my back. I was given the go ahead to return sleeping on my side, so now sleep is a little longer than 2hr intervals. I guess as you have said it right thru its the little things that keep you going. =o)
Keep smiling and take care
Cara from Facebook Orthognathic Group.