Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 29 - My My, How Time Flies

It's been almost a month since my surgery. Time sure flies when you're having fun! Riiiight! LOL It has been a very long 29 days, but I'm slowly beginning to see and feel the improvements. I've now almost regained all the feeling in my nose. This is helpful because my nose has been itching like crazy, but I can't make it go away! I could scratch until there's no skin left and that itch would still be there! Ugh - so frustrating! Unfortunately, the feeling in the left side of my face and my mouth are both taking longer to return. However, I think I feel a little difference in my upper lip so let's hope those nerves are working quickly and it means things are going to begin improving even more!

Only 2 1/2 more days until the splint is removed. I've had a down week but having this within my reach, I'm trying to remain a bit more positive. I know it will make a big difference in how I feel. I'm looking forward to being able to talk again so that I can take back that bit of me that's been lost. I know I won't be having a steak anytime soon, but I'll graduate to some soft foods and slowly work my way up. Eating (or lack thereof) has not been a big deal for me. In fact, it's been much easier than I anticipated. Maybe it's because I've been eating so well. Maybe it's because before the surgery, I had prepared myself well and had talked myself into the fact that it would be impossible for me to eat anything but soup. Either way, food really hasn't been an issue.

Looking back, a month has gone by quickly. Three weeks ago, I would have preferred being strung up by my toenails than having to go through what I did. Okay, so I'm kidding about this....kind of. I did a good amount of research in the year I had to prepare. I read blogs, I watched videos and checked out nearly every website I could find. I figured that if I read enough, I'd know it all and would know exactly what to expect. I don't think it's possible to be 100% prepared for this because each and every person is different in their recovery. Many will tell you there's no pain. I'm here to tell you they're full of s*&t. I had pain - a good amount of it, too! With that said...the pain I had is no longer there and I can barely remember it. So, I'm going to chalk this up to the "giving birth" philosophy - y'all know what I'm talking about, so 'nuff said. I'm still not sure what to make of my "look". It's not nearly as drastic as some, yet there's a definite difference. What I see in the mirror is different from what everyone else sees. I wasn't well enough prepared for this. I can't explain it and you probably can't understand it. And because for the next few months, my face will continue to change, it's hard to look at myself and like what I see. So, tell me all you want that I look nice and I thank you. But please don't be upset or offended if I don't get as excited as you are about the progression. It'll take time.

Happy note - Brian got a new toy, and a well-deserved one at that!! It's a side by side charcoal/gas grill with an attached smoker on one side and a burner on the other. I think he's still drooling!!! This thing is massive and looks absolutely wonderful on the back patio! It's been seasoned and is now ready for its maiden voyage - burgers, anyone?

4 comments:

Suzie said...

We have that same grill! It's completely awesome. Huge, but awesome!

Aimee said...

It IS big, isn't it? hehehe But it's pretty cool! It looks "manly"...LOL.

Anonymous said...

I'm hungry. (Mom)

Aimee said...

Yeah, join the group! I'm hungry, too! I want to chew food! lol