Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 14 - Lovely

Day 14 brought my second surgeon visit - two weeks down, three to go!  As will be the case for another three weeks, the visit today was to replace the bands that are holding my jaws together and to make sure that I'm progressing the way I should be.  Good news and bad news.  The good news is that I AM progressing well and everything is on track, as it should be.  My gums are healing nicely, as are my jaws.  The bad news?  I got scolded by Neil and Dr. Posnick. :-(  I've been trying SO hard to talk and in doing so, I'm stretching the bands as I do so.  Well, it's putting too much pressure on my upper jaw when I do this and it's slowing down the healing process.  Oops!  So....even though I am ABLE to move my jaw a little bit, I CAN'T do it, per my docs.  *sigh*  Anyway......Ashley went along to my appt. today and took some pics.  When I'm at Dr. Posnick's office, they remove the bands, check my bite, allow me to brush my teeth and open my mouth just a bit, then put the bands back on...


Prior to surgery, I showed you pictures of the splint that I would have in my mouth after the surgery, the one that would keep my jaws in the correct position while banded shut.  While necessary, it's a complete pain in the butt!  With the splint in place, I can't use a spoon or anything to put even liquids into my mouth because it sits between my top and bottom teeth.  It's also a catch all for food and drinks!  Three more weeks and it's gone!



Enough about the doc - who wants to hear about that boring stuff anyway!  :-)  Let's talk about dinner!!  First and foremost, I want everyone to know that I LOVE MY HUSBAND!  If it weren't for him, I would be curled up in a ball somewhere, withering away.  He's not going to let that happen, not a chance!  Tonights menu at Chez Darling was vegetable curry and rice.  I don't know how he made it or what he used, but it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!  I am NOT starving and there IS life beyond Ensure and protein shakes!

There is no daily craving because I am FULL!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Brenna said...

All great news, Aim! I'm so happy that things are moving in the right direction - now just stop talking! ;)

Obviously you're not "there" yet and things are still uncomfortable, but I bet that it's great to see a little bit of improvement and a light at the end of the tunnel.

Brian's dinners look delicious!

Brian said...

Most kind of you to say, Brenna. However, no matter what you do, when a food is blended/pureed, you get one color. I'm waiting for Aimee to say, "hmmm, I'm in the mood for something green tonight. No, wait, make that brown, yep, definitely in a brown mood". lol

Aimee said...

LOL....I think tonight, I'm in the mood for something RED! Come on, honey...the challenge is on!!!!

Thanks, Bren. Yeah...it's tough going and still not comfortable. But, progress has been made and for this, I'm grateful. I'm trying to be positive. Sometimes it's not so easy, but I'm doing my best. Brian is a godsend, no matter WHAT he says...I am so lucky to have him, he's been my saving grace.

I can see a little sliver of light..:-)