Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Husband, My Best Friend.

Day 8 - wow...we're officially into the second week of this godforsaken operation and recovery phase.  We've both been terrible about updating in the last couple of days but it's been crazy around here.  Brian is working two jobs - literally.  He has been working from home for ACS, busting his butt getting things done for some projects that are set to be rolled out the end of this week.  To top that off, he's my full time nurse and I don't think I can or will ever be able to say enough about what a fantastic job he's done.  He would be better at describing it because honestly, much of the last week has been a blur for me and I don't remember many things very clearly.  That's why the information on here has been spotty at best, my mind is mush.  But, I'll tell you from my vantage point and he can write a rebuttal if he feels it necessary. Unfortunately, there's no liquid form of percocet, which means that each pill has to be crushed, then mixed in water, sucked into a syringe, then shot down my throat.  I can't begin to tell you how horrible it tastes.  Brian crushes each and every one of those pills - not only does he do it for the ones I need to take at that moment, but he'll prep them so they're there, waiting for me in the middle of the night if I need them.  He stands there while I take it - so patient, because I might not get quite all of the pill so I need more liquid.  The kitchen is set up like a lab - he's got it down to a science.  Tylenol - he has to first put it into a cup, which he then has to suck up into a syringe and give to me.  (For all you parents...you know how our kids always fought with us when we had to get them to take the little bit of children's Tylenol and thought "how bad can this be, it's cherry flavored?  And really, it's only a LITTLE bit."  I get it!  Next time your child has a headache or needs to bring down a fever.....when you're dispensing that bit of liquid - give them love, give them praise because it may LOOK easy, but it's really not! )  I can't feel my face.  When I drink, I drool and my nose has begun to run from the septoplasty - Brian will just quietly and gently grab a kleenex, wipe and go onto other things.  He doesn't make an issue of it, nor do I anymore.  But if I'm not looking hideous, it's all because of him.  I would swear that I have magic glasses around the house because each time I go to get a drink of water or Gatorade, it's fresh.  Why?  Because my wonderful husband filled them again.  I can't tell you now just how many trips Brian has made to either the grocery store or CVS in the last week but it's more than I can count.  If I need it and we don't have it, he gets it.  He's exhausted and I can see it.  He's so thoughtful and so caring and I know it hurts him that I'm having such a tough time with this yet he just keeps going.  But each day, when I look in his eyes, I can see the pain, I can see the exhaustion.  Honey, I love you and I am so lucky to have you.  And to everyone else - when you get a chance, tell my husband what an awesome job he's doing - he deserves it.

No comments: