Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 10 - Ugh - I'd Like To Buy A Zero...

10 days post op...whoopie!!  Surprisingly, the time isn't going as slowly as you'd think, I can't believe it's been this long already.  I go back to Dr. Posnick and Neil on Monday already for my 2nd week checkup.  They'll take the bands off again so I can open my mouth, something I'm very much looking forward to!  I'll get to brush my teeth while I'm there, as well.  I do that at home, but when the bands are off, it's just a little bit easier and I'm hoping that soon, I'll be able to get the toothbrush INSIDE rather than just brushing the braces on the outside!  Anyway, here's the plan for the next 5 weeks - I go back once a week to see them, they'll take the bands off, check my jaw movement and make sure everything is still on track.  My 5th week appt, the one that we're looking forward to, is on June 14th at 1:30 pm.  That's the day that the splint comes off and I'll officially no longer be banded!  I know I've got a long way to go, but I've got my sights set already, you have NO idea how exciting the very thought is right now of not being confined!  Once I get the splint off, I will immediately walk over to Dr. Gerlein's office where he will replace the upper wire on my teeth that Dr. Posnick had to cut during surgery.  So, the countdown begins....25 days to go and Phase I will be done.

As for today...not much improvement in the way of pain or feeling.  I've still got a ton of pressure and it's super frustrating.  My face is tingly and just in the last day or so, has become terribly sensitive to hot and cold.  I don't mean just my mouth, but my face.  Brian and I went out and took a very short walk today to get me out of the house.  Just the cool air against my face makes it hurt.  Neil says that it's because the nerves are already trying to regenerate so there's no telling WHAT I might feel in my face over the course of the next few weeks.  The right side isn't too bad and I've got nearly all the feeling.  The left side is basically numb from just below my left eye, all the down to the middle of my chin.  It doesn't look gigantic, but it feels that way - I just know it's going to explode one of these days.  I hope it doesn't happen out in public, how embarassing would THAT be?   :-)

Now check out this picture!  Fancy, huh? This was my treat for taking a walk and not keeling over!  Wine hasn't tasted particularly good to me since surgery but I'm going to keep trying until I get it right!

Mmmmmm, nice! And how beautiful is that residual bruising that's moving from my face down through my neck and chest.  See the pretty green?  My favorite color!!!!!


I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has sent cards and flowers to the house.  They're all beautiful and even with my stuffy nose, I can catch a whiff from time to time! 

Birthday greetings today to my brother-in-law, Peter from Raleigh!  Wishing you a day just as wonderful as you are!  Love you!

Time to see what kind of broth or smoothie I can make for dinner - AGAIN!  I don't have much of an appetite but know that I need to get something in my system so I'm trying.  So far, my favorite is french onion soup and mixed berry smoothies.  I've got to start branching out.  If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears!

My Daily Craving:  Pizza!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your picture is beautiful. There's quite a change in the swelling, Aim. Love you. Mom

Aimee said...

Thanks! Yeah, the swelling is coming down. Left side is still pretty swollen, but the right side is doing much better. I'll be glad when my face shape is back to normal - right now, I've got a big chin. I don't like it.