Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day ?????

I don't know the day and I'm done counting. If you want to know, you do the math :) Wow, May 11th seems like an eternity ago...yet it really hasn't been all that long. Crazy, huh?

Things are going pretty well, with the exception of my nose. I'm having troubles and it's time to get it checked out. I'm going to see Dr. Troost, my ENT, on Monday afternoon. I can't breathe well and my nose hurts. I've got some stuff coming out of my nose that just isn't right and isn't what I consider normal. I'll spare you the details. I'll keep you posted...I'm sure you're on the edge of your seats.

Aside from my nose, things are going pretty well. The swelling is going down and since it has, I can now feel the screws and brackets in my face. Creepy. They're tender to the touch which is good and bad...rough when I go to wash or wipe my face, but kinda neat that I finally have some sensation. The left side of my face is still a bit numb, as is my chin and bottom lip, but it's slowly repairing itself. I still get a vague sensation of drooling when I drink something, but it's not as bad as it used to be. My left cheek was almost back to normal and is now numb again. It comes and it goes. I'm used to it now. I think my chin is what I'm most excited about. Finally, the feeling is almost completely back. I like this because it was uncomfortable. Unfortunately, my gums are still almost completely numb yet I have some sensation so I still can't use my Sonicare toothbrush - have to do it manually. The vibration of the Sonicare is too much for my teeth to handle and becomes painful. This too, shall pass.

I had an orthodontist appointment about a week ago and we're on track! Besides a very minor adjustment, we're at the point now where we're just in a holding pattern. This means that we're on for the braces to come out of my mouth in December! Yes!!!!!!!! While total recovery is a long ways off, at least I can get the braces off and feel semi-normal again. Freedom! I see a big, fat Smith & Wollensky steak on the horizon and I can almost reach out and grab it. :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

My goodness! Your nose has been hurting for a while huh? I hope everything is okay there.

I remember when I had my braces off. I licked my teeth constantly because for 4 years, I had them on and I couldn't remember what my actual teeth felt like. Mmmmm popcorn! taffy! gum! corn! ...of course all that's a way off for you anyway huh. :( Boo.

I'm glad you're getting some feeling back! I can only imagine how crazy all this must feel for you. You're a tough cookie!

Aimee said...

Hey! Yeah, kinda stinks but hopefully we'll find out what's going on! It won't be long before my braces are off so I can only imagine what I'll do and what it'll feel like! I can't wait!!!!!!