Friday, February 19, 2010

The Very Beginning

Hi everyone!  I've decided to start a blog to chronicle my journey through adult orthodontics and also through my upcoming jaw surgery.  Let me tell you how this all started.  I'd gone many years with pain and discomfort in both jaws, primarily the lower.  The strain from talking, yawning, chewing - you name it - was irritating.  My dentist wanted to refer me to an orthodontist.  I was a bit leery.  What would it cost?  What needs to be done?  How long will this take?  I'm nearly 40 years old, I can't have braces!!!  After much prodding by my wonderful husband (bless his little heart...lol), I decided that it couldn't hurt to meet with the orthodontist and get more information.   April 2009 was my first appointment - I walked into the office of Dr. Gerlein in Chevy Chase, MD and knew immediately that I was in the right place! After numerous x-rays and an exam, the verdict was in.  My jaws were a) too small and b) not growing correctly, hence the pain and difficulties I was having.  Dr. Gerlein said it looked like I would have to have surgery on my bottom jaw to bring it forward, but that before he did anything, I would need to see a surgeon to confirm his diagnosis.  Next step - make an appointment with the surgeon.  May 2009 I meet with the surgeon, Dr. Posnick, also in Chevy Chase, MD.  They already had my x-rays from the orthodontist, but still needed to take lots of pictures inside my mouth for the doc to see, as well as molds of my teeth.  The sit down with Dr. Posnick went well, although it was a little overwhelming at first.  He did confirm what Dr. Gerlein had said, that I would need surgery - but on not one, but both jaws and my chin.  The plan would be to move both my upper and lower jaws forward and down.  Same thing with my chin, to make everything symmetrical.  Then, while they're in there, they'll repair my deviated septum, as well.  But before any of this happens - braces!  And the story begins...

No comments: